Bring out the magic in your music
Quad has been making vacuum tube amplifiers — or valve amplifiers, as they're called in Britain — since the late 1940s, back when tube amplification was the latest audio technology. The VA-One integrated amplifier combines classic tube amp sound with modern digital features in a conveniently versatile and compact package.
Don't be fooled by its modest size and power rating — the VA-One puts out enough power to fill most rooms with the dynamic, musical sound that tube amps are known for. A full-sized headphone jack accommodates most kinds of headphones for when you want to enjoy that same sweet sound quality without disturbing others.
Easy on the eyes and ears
You don't have to be an audio geek to be won over by the VA-One's retro charm. The comforting glow of its seven vacuum tubes is analogous to the kind of sound it puts out. Vacuum tube amplifiers are known for delivering consistently smooth sound, where modern audio equipment can be a bit less forgiving of certain types of musical passages. I've heard it described as an aesthetic choice — like using a filter on a photo to add texture and bring out the inherent emotion of the image.
Superb sound quality from just about any source
With its tube-based preamp and power amp circuits, digital and analog inputs, and built-in high-resolution digital-to-analog converter, the VA-One makes any audio source sound great. Built-in Bluetooth adds wireless convenience, letting you stream music from a compatible mobile device.
- 12 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms at 0.5% THD
- 15 watts x 2 channels into 6 ohms at 0.5% THD
- vacuum tube preamp and power amp stages
- three preamp tubes (1 x ECC83, 2 x ECC82)
- four power amp tubes (4 x EL84EH)
- high-resolution 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible device
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible Bluetooth devices
- digital audio inputs: 1 USB (Type B), 1 optical (S/PDIF), and 1 coaxial (S/PDIF)
- USB driver required for Windows® users; available here
- stereo RCA audio input
- full-size 1/4" headphone jack
- binding post speaker terminals
- detachable AC power cord
- remote control
- signal to noise ratio: 90dB
- 7-1/8"W x 7-1/16"H x 13"D
- weight: 23.8 lbs.