This beauty is a beast
Lots of speakers make sound that can fill your room just fine. But Monitor Audio's Silver 8 delivers a dynamic, edge-of-your-seat performance that positively owns it. Experience warm, natural sounding vocals, tightly focused and textured instrumentals, plus a punchy, deep bass attack that can bring your favorite recordings to life.
Excellence by design
Every Silver series speaker incorporates Monitor Audio's gold dome tweeter for smooth, detailed highs. The domes are made from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components, then anodized with a layer of gold for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. Their extremely low mass and high rigidity allow these tweeters to play accurately far beyond the range of human hearing with little to no audible distortion, making them an excellent choice for high-resolution music listening.
The Silver 8's 3-way design incorporates two ultra-rigid 6" woofers and a separate 4" midrange driver for tight, powerful bass and clean, accurate midrange. Created from the same lightweight alloy as the tweeters, these drivers are strengthened and stiffened even further by adding a pattern of dimples to the surface of the cone. The dimples help resist bending and twisting that cause distortion while allowing the use of thinner, lighter, more responsive cones.
Further refinements to ensure powerful performance
Meticulous engineering and many hours of listening go into each Silver series speaker. Monitor paid close attention to important design elements — both visible and hidden. At its heart, the Silver 8 uses a sophisticated crossover network with premium-grade components. Monitor also chose their Pureflow® Silver-plated OFC wire to make all internal cabling connections. Together, these refinement provide better driver integration and faster transients for smooth sound with real presence and immediacy.
Instead of conventional mounting screws, each driver is held in place using a single tensioned rod, or through-bolt, that threads into its back plate then secures to back of the cabinet. The bolt not only acts as a rigid cabinet brace to reduce box coloration, it also eliminates the need for traditional driver mounting hardware, effectively decoupling the driver and front baffle to eliminate another source of unwanted resonance. The lack of visible mounting hardware also adds to the overall look of elegance.
Monitor thoroughly engineered the Silver 8's bass-reflex ports, as well. This new type of port design utilizes straight, rifled grooves inside the port to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence compared to conventional ports. This ability to move air in and out of the cabinet more quickly provides faster, more powerful bass and superior transient response.
A solid cabinet with a luxurious finish
Monitor Audio speakers have long been known for their sturdy, vault-like cabinet construction. The Silver 8's enclosure is built solid to resist vibration that can color sound and reduce accuracy. The exterior comes clad in your choice of a beautifully finished walnut, rosenut, or black oak wood veneer, as well as high-gloss black lacquer. Base plinths are provided for added stability and a solid foundation for superior acoustics. Spikes are supplied to accommodate installing the speaker on carpeting, and non-slip polymer pads are also included to protect wood floors. An attractive "floating" magnetic grille that features invisible attachments gives the Silver 8 a clean, classic look whether you use it with the grille on or off.
Monitor Audio Silver 8
- frequency response: 32-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 80-200 watts
- impedance: 4 ohms
- ultra-rigid, lightweight C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) cone material used to provide high efficiency and low distortion
- 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter for detailed sound and extended high-frequency response
- 4" C-CAM midrange with RST® (Rigid Surface Technology) to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- dual 6" C-CAM RST woofers for powerful, low-distortion bass
- single bolt-through driver attachment provides mechanical decoupling and increased cabinet rigidity for greater clarity and resolution
- bass reflex (ported) design with HiVe® II technology for reduced turbulence and higher velocity airflow
- high-quality crossovers with polypropylene film capacitors for greater accuracy
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- detachable base stabilizers with included polymer pads and carpet spikes
- high-gloss white lacquer finish
- 9-5/8"W x 40-3/16"H x 14-3/16"D
- weight: 51.3 lbs.