Portable high-res power to drive your headphones
I find the warm, blue glow from the meters of a McIntosh component reassuring. It lets me know that the music I'm hearing is sounding its best. The blue trim of the McIntosh MHA50 portable headphone amp gives me that same feeling — and comes with the same uncompromising sound quality.
Designed for high-performance headphones, the MHA50's built-in DAC (digital to analog converter) can decode high-res PCM and DSD files. And Bluetooth aptX® wireless streaming lets you enjoy richly detailed sound on the go.
True high-resolution audio
The MHA50 can play back high-res PCM audio sources up to 32-bit/192kHz, and DSD audio at 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz, providing better-than-CD sound quality. It also supports DXD audio (Digital eXtreme Definition) at 352.8kHz/384kHz for SACD-quality sound.
Asynchronous USB data transfer ensures reduced timing jitter and better sound. And with high-performance headphones such as the McIntosh MHP1000, those details matter.
Digital connections to almost any device
McIntosh includes a variety of USB cables so you can use the MHA50 with just about any portable device — and non-portables as well. These digital connections let the MHA50 bypass the device's low-quality DAC. Instead, the data goes straight to the MHA50's high-performance DAC, preserving all the detail of your music.
Included is a Lightning® connector cable for your Apple® iPhone® or iPad®, a micro USB cable for Android™ smartphones, and a USB-A cable for laptops. There's even a USB-A OTG cable for flash drives. However your high-res digital music is stored, you can connect it to the MHA50.
Ready for travel
The MHA50 delivers up to 6 hours of Bluetooth wireless playback, and even more through a wired connection. The slender headphone amp comes with its own leather carry case and slips easily into your pocket. Its extruded aluminum body holds up under rough-and-tumble travel conditions.
- battery-powered portable headphone amplifier with built-in DAC
- 32-bit/192kHz decoding for enjoying high-resolution digital music files
- plays DSD files at 2.8MHz (DSD64) or 5.6MHz (DSD128)
- plays DXD files at 352.2kHz or 384kHz
- asynchronous USB data transfer for reduced timing jitter and better sound
- McIntosh's Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) circuitry adds spaciousness and depth
- built-in Bluetooth receiver with support for aptX, so you can wirelessly stream music from a compatible device
- built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery provides up to 6 hours playback with Bluetooth connection; longer with wired connections.
- extruded aluminum body with blue illumination
- touch-sensitive control knob
- two gain settings for use with a wide variety of headphones, from in-ear models to large over-the-ear designs
- recommended headphone impedance: 8-600 ohms
- distortion: less than 0.005% (1kHz)
- frequency response: 20-50,000 Hz (± 0.5dB)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output
- leather carrying case
- included cables:
- Lightning connector to USB-A cable for Apple®
- USB micro-B to USB micro-B cable for Android™ phones
- USB micro-B to USB-C OTG cable
- USB micro-B to USB-A for computers
- USB wall charger
- 2-13/16"W x 6-3/16"H x 5/8"D
- weight: 8 oz.