Easy to listen to, tough to describe
When we first saw the drop-dead gorgeous Marantz HD-DAC1, we weren't sure exactly what to call it. A reference-quality headphone amp? A versatile digital-to-analog converter? A capable stereo preamp? Turns out it simply crushes all three categories.
As a high-end DAC, this Marantz converts your digital music into warm, detailed analog sound. As a high-performance headphone amplifier it combines power and finesse to help any headphone sound its best. Finally, as a stereo preamp with volume control and a wireless remote, the HD-DAC1 can bring your music sources and your favorite power amp or active speakers together to create a killer sound system. In the end, we're going to leave it up to you to decide what to call this impressive, all-around performer.
A bona fide high-res all-star...
If you're into downloading high-resolution audio from websites like HDtracks, 2L, or Blue Coast Records, you'll love the HD-DAC1. Not only can it make your MP3 and CD-quality music sound fantastic, it also decodes high-res audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality (free USB driver download required for Windows® PC playback). And this DAC supports both 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD digital audio signals for bit-transparent playback of those high-res digital music files.
...that can make your headphones sing
The HD-DAC1's ultra-high quality dedicated headphone amplifier borrows powerful current feedback amplification technologies from Marantz's high-end Reference Series components for stunning headphone sound. And thanks to a selectable three-level gain control, it can drive virtually any headphones with ease — even high-impedance audiophile models up to 600 ohms.
The HD-DAC1 provides the connections you need to make it the heart of your high-end music system. First, you get two USB ports: an asynchronous USB connection in back for plugging in your PC, plus a front-panel port for your iPod®/iPhone® or a USB thumb drive. Three digital audio inputs (1 coax, 2 optical) let you add a CD/DVD player, game console, or other devices with digital audio outputs. There's a minijack analog audio input for a smartphone or portable music player with analog output. You also get fixed RCA audio outputs for connecting to a receiver, integrated amp, or powered speakers, plus variable RCA outs when going straight into a power amp.
- plays PCM digital audio sources up to 24-bit/192kHz
- back-panel USB port allows decoding of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files at 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz resolution
- front-panel USB input plays USB memory devices (MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV) and iPod®/iPhone®
- high-performance 24-bit/192kHz Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter for precise playback of digital music files
- built-in high-performance headphone amplifier with front-panel volume control
- three-position gain switch optimizes performance with low-, medium-, and high-impedance headphones
- preamp mode with fixed and variable RCA outputs for connection to an outboard power amp or self-amplified speakers
- asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound on USB input
- jitter remover and dual master clocks used to minimize jitter
- Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) and HDAM-SA2 modules used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- ground isolator for USB DAC mode operation eliminates noise from computer connection
- vibration-resistant solid aluminum front panel and double-layer bottom plate
- simulated wood-grain side panels for a cool retro look
- wireless remote
- rear-panel USB (Type B) port for connection to a computer
- front-panel USB (Type A) port for connecting USB memory devices and iPod/iPhone
- optical digital audio (2)
- coaxial digital audio
- minijack (3.5mm) analog audio
- fixed line-level stereo RCA audio
- variable line-level stereo RCA audio
- full-size 1/4" headphone jack (compatible with headphones up to 600 ohms impedance)
- RCA remote control input/output (for use with Marantz components with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
Other Info & Specs:
- supported sample rates for rear-panel USB input: up to 24-bit/192kHz PCM; 2.8MHz (DSD64) and 5.6MHz (DSD128)
- supported files and bit rates for front-panel USB input: MP3 (up to 48kHz; 32-320kbps), WMA (up to 48kHz; 48-320kbps), AAC (up to 48kHz; 64-192kbps), WAV (up to 48kHz/16-bit)
- supported sample rates for coaxial and optical inputs: up 24-bit/192kHz PCM
- recommended operating systems: Windows® Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Mac® OS X® 10.6.3 or later
- USB Audio 2.0 driver required for high-resolution audio playback on Windows computers (free USB driver download available from Marantz's website)
- headphone amplifier power output: 800mW into 32 ohms
- frequency response: 2-50,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- THD: 0.0012% (at 1kHz)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 106 dB
- channel separation: 100 dB
- detachable AC power cable
- 9-7/8"W x 3-9/16"H x 12-3/8"D
- weight: 11 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.