Add more magic to your music
Cambridge Audio set the benchmark for sound quality and value when they introduced the original DacMagic digital-to-analog converter. It helped music lovers significantly upgrade the sound from their computers, game consoles, network music players, or any other device with a digital audio output. Now Cambridge has raised the bar even higher with their latest offering, the DacMagic Plus. This impressive new DAC offers more features and flexibility than its predecessor, including a dedicated headphone amp for private listening, upgraded USB input capability, and optional Bluetooth® wireless connectivity.
Connect the DacMagic Plus between your music source's digital audio output and your receiver, amp, or powered speakers, and this versatile DAC will bypass the one inside your PC or player — magically transforming those cold hard zeroes and ones into warm, organic sound. You'll immediately experience greater dynamic impact and transparency, with instruments and vocals standing out from each other to occupy their own distinct space.
More magic on the inside than ever
The DacMagic Plus comes packed with advanced circuitry designed to extract the best possible sound from all your digital sources. Twin Wolfson DACs are used in a dual differential configuration to cancel out noise and distortion while providing excellent stereo imaging. Cambridge's sophisticated Adapted Time Filter 2 technology upsamples all incoming digital audio to a 24-bit/384kHz signal in order to resolve extremely fine detail. The end result is dramatically improved sound from every digital source in your system.
Now with the asynchronous USB advantage
Standard USB outputs from most computers pose a serious limitation to sound quality. That's because while you're trying to listen to music, your PC is busy performing virus scans, data backup, and other background tasks that may take priority over your tunes, causing it to alter the data rate to suit its own needs. Unfortunately, this situation results in timing errors within the digital data stream — known as "jitter" — that adversely affect sound quality. Jitter can make your music sound harsh and edgy, and smear subtle details.
The newly re-designed DacMagic Plus solves this problem by reaching out to your computer through the USB interface, and instructing it to relinquish control of the data stream timing. In its place, this advanced DAC inserts its own separate, or asynchronous, clock to precisely control the timing of the data rate, reducing jitter to the vanishing point. You'll hear a stunning improvement in low-level ambient detail along with a wider, deeper soundstage.
Enjoy high-resolution USB audio
Along with all the sonic benefits the DacMagic Plus provides for your compressed and CD-quality music files, it also has another trick up its sleeve — it decodes high-resolution data streams with up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution through its USB connection, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality. (Free USB driver download required for Windows® PCs.) If you download high-res music files from HDtracks and other audiophile sources, this DAC will ensure that you hear them in all their glory.
Other audiophile features
Cambridge Audio also included some neat features guaranteed to appeal to audiophiles. A choice of three digital filters lets you tweak and fine-tune the sound to match your system and room. The DacMagic Plus lets you experiment with different filter settings for each source, always remembering the last setting assigned to each one. A phase inversion switch lets you correct for out-of-phase recordings or amplifiers that invert phase. Cambridge even included an incoming sample rate indicator which shows the original source quality.
Plenty of connections for your gear
DacMagic Plus lets you connect multiple digital source components to your home audio or desktop system:
- two coaxial digital inputs: ideal for connecting a CD or DVD player, Logitech Squeezebox™ Touch, Sonos® Connect, or any other digital audio component with coax out, and taking advantage of the DacMagic Plus's high-performance processor for better sound.
- two optical digital inputs: ready to take on almost any HDTV, set-top box, game console, or other digital sources with optical digital output, and feed a high-quality audio signal into your stereo system.
- Type B USB jack feeds digital audio from your computer into the DacMagic Plus's onboard digital-to-analog converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much clearer sound with stored music files and Internet radio.
A pair of gold-plated RCA outputs lets you connect the DacMagic Plus to your home audio system's receiver or integrated amp. Or feed a set of powered speakers for a high-end, compact desktop stereo. The built-in volume control even lets you connect a power amp directly, using the DacMagic Plus as a preamp. Cambridge Audio also included a pair of balanced XLR outputs for an even higher-quality hookup with compatible audio components. A full-size headphone jack lets you take advantage of the DAC's built-in headphone amp for private listening. Optical and coaxial digital outputs allow you to bypass the DacMagic Plus when you're playing surround sound from a Blu-ray or DVD player, so you don't have to change cable connections when you switch from music to movies.
High-quality sound with wireless convenience
You can also go cable-free with Cambridge Audio's optional plug-and-play BT100 Bluetooth® wireless audio receiver. This receiver lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPhone®, Android™ smartphone, iPad®, tablet, laptop or any device that supports Bluetooth audio. Best of all, if your smartphone, tablet, or computer supports high-end CSR aptX® Bluetooth audio, you can stream near CD-quality music from your device to the DacMagic Plus.
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
- twin Wolfson Microelectronics 8740 24-bit digital-to-analog converters in dual differential mode for precise stereo imaging
- asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound on USB input
- Anagram Technologies Adapted Time Filtering 2 (ATF2) 24-bit/384kHz audio up-sampling with jitter reduction for better sound with compressed audio sources
- incoming sampling rate indicator helps verify source quality
- choice of three filter settings for fine-tuning sound to suit your listening preferences
- phase-inversion switch to compensate for out-of-phase recordings or phase-inverting amplifiers
- built-in headphone amplifier and full-size (1/4") front-panel headphone jack
- Bluetooth ready for wireless playback from any compatible Bluetooth device (requires optional Cambridge Audio BT100 wireless audio receiver)
- supports the high-quality Bluetooth aptX CODEC for streaming audiophile quality music from a compatible Bluetooth device
- two digital inputs with both optical (Toslink) and RCA coaxial (S/PDIF) jacks
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
- optical and coaxial digital outputs (pass-through)
- RCA and balanced XLR audio outputs (both active simultaneously)
- supported sample rates:
- USB: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz (24-bit/192kHz supported with downloaded USB driver and ASIO or kernel streaming modes)
- optical: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz
- coaxial: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz
- built-in driver for USB 1.0 connection (up to 24-bit/96kHZ)
- dedicated Cambridge Audio USB 2.0 driver for 24-bit/192kHz playback on a Windows® PC (free USB driver download available from Cambridge Audio website)
- Mac OSX 10.5 or later supports 24-bit/192kHz USB output natively, so no dedicated driver is required
- frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz (±0.1 dB)
- THD: <0.002%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 112 dB
- external power supply included
- non-slip silicone stand and 4 self-adhesive rubber feet included
- 8-1/2"W x 2-1/16"H x 9-5/16"D (horizontal orientation)
- weight: 2.6 lbs. (without power supply)
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in its audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.