Designed for people who are serious about music
When you hear your favorite music played through the CXA80, you'll know you're hearing it the way it was meant to be heard. That's because the dedicated team of music lovers at Cambridge Audio poured a lot of engineering know-how into its design. Every facet of what goes on inside this potent integrated amp was carefully considered to ensure every last drop of detail in your favorite recordings comes shining through. Cambridge didn't forget the outside, either. The CXA80 sports a classic-yet-modern design that looks as beautiful as it sounds.
Flexible connectivity, including high-res USB
The CXA80 gives you versatile options for enjoying analog and digital music sources alike. Its asynchronous USB port provides a clean, low-jitter connection for streaming music files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution from your computer. Optical and coaxial digital audio inputs let you connect other sources like a TV, CD player, Blu-ray player, or a network streaming device. All digital inputs feed the CXA80's high-performance Wolfson digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for a powerful sonic upgrade. And there's plenty of room for your analog sources, too, including a pair of balanced XLR inputs for a noise-free connection to high-end components. You can even stream music directly from your Bluetooth® enabled portable devices by adding Cambridge Audio's optional BT100 adapter.
Real power for the real world
At the heart of the CXA80 is a high-performance, 80 watt-per-channel amplifier. Cambridge Audio's conservative power rating only tells part of this amp's story. Each channel's 80 watts are generated by a power supply that employs an audiophile-grade toroidal transformer for plenty of steady, low-noise current. Separate windings and transformer taps for the left and right channels, along with twin rectifiers and separate power supply units for each channel, provide dual mono operation that delivers maximum stereo separation for a wide, enveloping soundstage. The transformer is also centrally located inside the chassis to minimize interference with sensitive preamp circuitry, and it's surrounded by hefty extruded heat sinks for cool, efficient operation.
In addition to its ample power output, this integrated amp uses symmetrical and separately laid out right- and left-channel circuits with a greatly reduced component count in the signal path compared to previous models. This keeps distortion and interference from cluttering the signal, for rich, multi-layered sound. The result of all that beefy construction is an amp capable of handling the heavy demands of 4-ohm speakers as well as all the dynamic peaks in music that make it sound real.
Tone controls, direct mode, and room for extra speakers
The CXA80 features two pairs of speaker connectors, front-panel treble and bass controls, and Direct mode for bypassing these tone controls if you desire even purer sound. There's also a subwoofer output and preamp outs for expanding your system, as well as a front-panel headphone jack for private late-night music listening.
Cambridge Audio CXA80
- 80 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (120 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- THD: 0.02% (20-20,000 Hz at 80% of rated power)
- built-in high-performance Wolfson WM8740 DAC
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- separate transformer taps for left and right channels, twin rectifiers and separate power supply units for dual mono operation of the left and right power amplifiers
- separate left and right channel heat sinks and symmetrical separated circuit paths for maximum stereo separation and minimal cross-channel interference
- high-quality ALPs film-type volume control provides superb low-level channel balance and stereo imaging
- relay-based input source switching with silver-plated contacts for maximum signal transfer
- full-metal casework with thick, brushed aluminum front panel and acoustically damped chassis for enhanced resonance control
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
- supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 24-bit/192kHz
- dedicated Cambridge Audio USB 2.0 driver required for 24-bit/192kHz playback on a Windows® PC (free USB driver download available from Cambridge Audio website)
- 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs
- balanced stereo XLR inputs provide connectivity for high-end and professional audio sources
- 4 stereo RCA audio inputs, 1 front-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio input
- Bluetooth®-ready with optional Cambridge Audio adapter
- 1 stereo RCA preamp output and a dedicated mono subwoofer output
- minijack headphone output
- switchable A+B speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
Other Info and Specs:
- class A/B amplifier design
- asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound
- ground lift switch to eliminate potential noise through USB connection
- 16-15/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 13-7/16"D
- weight: 19.1 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.